10 Ways to Make Your ‘About Me’ a Little Less Boring
How many times have you read a professional bio only to lose interest halfway through? If you don’t want to fall into the same trap, there are some basic questions you can ask yourself that will keep that ‘about me’ section a lot more interesting.
When people get to know, they want to know what you’re all about and what makes you tick. Yes, your experience and qualifications matter, but people also enjoy the smaller details that define who you are.
Here are some of the ways that you can get more creative with your bio.
- Think back to your childhood. Do you feel that your childhood helped prepare you for what you’re doing professionally? If so, how so? Whether it’s the people who raised you or where you grew up, mentioning details about your childhood can bring a personal touch to your bio.
- Your dream job. If you had a dream job, this is something you can incorporate into your bio. Telling people about your dream job gives them insights into your personality. You can also mention how what you’re doing now is linked to your dream job.
- Jot down your accomplishments. What are you most proud of? When you share some of your accomplishments, it shows that you’re driven and take pride in what you do. This doesn’t have to only be work-related either – mention whatever you feel represents you the best.
- What about those hidden talents? Is there something you do really well that not many people know about? Find ways to bring this into your bio. Just make sure that whatever you mention, it paints your brand in a favorable light.
- Remember the lessons. People like to be reminded that even the most successful people are human too. What is one of the biggest mistakes you’ve ever made and what did you learn from it?
- The strange and unusual. Another way to give people a peek into your personality is to mention an unusual item you have in your office. Perhaps it’s something you found in an antique store or it’s a bright pink stapler, people love interesting anecdotes.
- Do you have a guilty pleasure? Perhaps it’s the chocolate croissants from the bakery down the road or reading a newspaper in the tub, adding some details about your quirks will make your bio more personal.
- Furry friends. Are you an animal lover? Many of your customers are too. If your pet/s is a big part of your life, add some details to your bio for a fun twist.